The Kidwell Covered Bridge #35-05-02, was named for the town that used to be located at the junction of State Route 13 and State Route 685. It is also known as the Monserrat Covered Bridge. The bridge is 96 feet long and crosses Sunday Creek which is a third order tributary of the Hocking River that is the largest river responsible for the drainage of Athens County.
The Kidwell Covered Bridge was built in 1880 with a Howe Truss. The exterior siding is painted reddish-brown and has a tin roof.
There is limited access to the creek bed and therefore it is difficult to appreciate the bridge in its totality. The bridge is closed to vehicular traffic. It has been painted, but appears to have been forgotten otherwise.The road has been virtually abandoned and the vegetation surrounding the bridge is so thick that it makes it hard to observe the exterior. The interior is inviting because of the steel suspended supports and the diagonal floor planking. The Kidwell Covered Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Directions: Dover Township, from Jacksonville, south on S.R. 13, one mile, right on T 332.