|The Roberts Covered Bridge #35-08-05 is located
in Preble County and was built by Orlistus Roberts in 1829. This is an exceptional
bridge, the only one in Ohio that is double-barreled and there are only
six of this type left in the United States. The Roberts has three trusses,
one in the center and one on each side of the bridge. Each truss is a Multiple
Kingpost truss encased by three Burr arches. The interior is spectacular
with runners on either side and the three Burr arches.
||The roof has been shingled. The exterior has been painted red, the portals
have been painted white. The Bridge rests on cut stone abutments. The stone
was cut nearby at the Halderman Quarry. Roberts Bridge is 80 feet long and
spans Seven Mile Creek with a bed with of 70 feet. Seven Mile Creak is a
stream that drains central Preble County.
|On 5 August 1986, the Roberts Bridge was burned by arson. Fortunately,
in 1991 the bridge was relocated and restored through the generous support
of the community and the efforts of the Roberts Bridge Restoration Committee.
The bridge cost over $150,000.00 to restore and is now located in the city
of Eaton, Ohio. The Roberts Covered Bridge is the oldest
covered bridge in Ohio.
Click on map to go back to Covered Bridge Page